Friday, October 05, 2007 at 11:47 AM
You might have already noticed a post in our sister blog describing the new Google Desktop 5.5 Beta. That post covered the most visible new features, such as Desktop gadgets working on iGoogle and the improved Quick Search Box. We'll just talk about what the new version means for developers.
First, we'd like you to try out the features that Desktop gadgets get for free in this release:
- Desktop gadgets are already included in the iGoogle gadget directory. Try this: Go to your iGoogle homepage, click Add stuff, search for a published gadget (for example, "Media Player"), and add it to your homepage.
- It's easy to run multiple instances of a single gadget. Try this: Select "Add gadgets" (+ on the top sidebar menu), search for a gadget you're already running, and then add the gadget again. In previous releases, you wouldn't find gadgets you were already running; now multiple instances just work
- Radio buttons
- Combo boxes
- Sorting of clickable items based on click history within a gadget (see the ranking API)
- Built-in, styled text for buttons and checkboxes
- New properties to help you change the color and cropping of images
So go ahead: download Google Desktop 5.5, play with it, and try out the new APIs. Then please let us know what you think, both as a user and as a developer. Thanks for your support!