Going beyond script

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 at 5:17 PM


I've been interested in programming and software development as long as I can remember, and I've used a huge variety of technologies and environments. One day I wanted to try something new, so I installed Google Desktop and downloaded its SDK. I soon noticed how easy it is to write a powerful gadget using the Google Desktop APIs. However, no API can address all the needs of every developer. When I was developing the MultiDesktop gadget, I couldn't find the exact functionality I needed in the Google Desktop APIs.

Fortunately, the Google Desktop architects provide us with a powerful way to implement missing functionality: hybrid gadgets. A hybrid gadget is partly JavaScript + XML, and partly native code written in your favorite programming language. If you want to learn how to write a hybrid gadget, read my latest article, Going Beyond Script: Developing Hybrid Desktop Gadgets. You can find more information at my blog, Programming by Krizz.

No comments: